Need a quick, but really awesome upper body workout? We have you covered thanks to Self magazine!
For each of the following five moves, here’s your mission:
This set-up is similar to a Tabata workout, which involves exercising with intense effort for 20 seconds then recovering for 10 seconds, and repeating that for eight rounds. The key here is to keep up your intensity. “It is very important during the 20 seconds of work that you do not rest,” stresses Lefkowith. “Feel free to drop to your knees during the push-ups, or slow down your plank ups. Whatever you need to do without stopping entirely. (Videos of exercises found here!)
1. Push-Ups — 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off
2. Bent-Over Rows — 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off
3. Plank Ups — 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off
4. Renegade Rows — 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off
5. Down Dog To Plank — 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off
While exercises that work your butt and abs tend to get a lot of lovin’ in fitness classes and regular gym routines, focusing on your upper body can make you feel strong, powerful, and like you could lift a suitcase into the overhead bin no problem.