This is a great, slightly decadent tasting appetizer or side dish. There’s a bit of cheese and enough bread crumbs for it to be a tad doughy, without being overly spinachy. (Is that a word?!)
- 6 to 8 cups fresh spinach leaves (trimmed and washed) OR 1 cup frozen spinach, thawed
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup grated cheese (I like cheddar)
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs (use gluten free, if you prefer)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley or cilantro
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
If using fresh spinach:
- Trim and wash the fresh spinach leaves.
- Place the leaves into a saucepan, add salt and cover with boiling water. Cover and set aside for 3 minutes.
- Rinse the spinach with cold tap water. Drain using your hands to squeeze all the remaining water. You should obtain about 1 cup of packed cooked spinach leaves.
- If you are using frozen spinach, defrost and measure 1 cup.
- Place on a cutting board and finely chop the cooked spinach. Transfer into a mixing bowl.
- Add eggs, cheese, herbs and panko bread crumbs.
- Combine with a spoon or your hands until it forms a batter.
- If too moist add slightly more crumb until easy to roll as ball with your hands palms.
- Place the balls on a non-stick cookie tray covered with baking paper.
- Bake at 180C for 15-20 minutes or until golden on the top.
Serve with dips of your choice like pesto, ranch, or hummus.